Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Carrot Cake: It's a Classic

Double-layer Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Filling, Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting in a Rustic Orange-tinted Ombre with a Toasted, Chopped Pecan Garnish


Carrot Cake.  It's a classic and a personal favorite of my life partner.  Of course, I thought German Chocolate Cake (which isn't German) was still his favorite...until today. 

He was, "That used to be my favorite until I had your Carrot Cake and now that one is at the top of the list." 
 
So I asked, "What happened to trigger this change?"
 
And he said, "It's those chopped pecans...they're the best."
 
Guess what other cake I bake that has toasted, chopped pecans... uh huh.  German Chocolate Cake.  I love that my dude is so consistent.  He's the best.
 
So about today's cake.  I followed my recipe to the letter; it really only produces two layers of 8" or 9" rounds.  I held a wee bit back for a couple cupcakes.  It's possible to have a triple-layer cake if using the 6" rounds.  If you need a taller cake, up the recipe by half.  Find the recipe here.
 



 
After the crumb-coat was finished, I popped this cake into the cake fridge so it could set.  During those few minutes, I frosted the cupcakes and took a few snapshots.  Later in the afternoon, we carried these cupcakes up to our friends at Starbucks.
 


 
I was a bit unsure about how I wanted the cake to look...so I opted for a more rustic less exacting decorating style.  The results look really simple and classic and appetizing.  The garnish of toasted, chopped pecans echoes the pecans in the cake and add a lovely finish.
 




 
This cake was delightful.  It has gotten rave reviews for taste and I like the look.
 
My gratitude today is in knowing my life partner is way fun to be around and sobriety is still an awesome choice one day at a time.


 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment